February 3rd, 2014 423 View(s)
We’ve seen a rise in websites account accounts being compromised, hacked and attacked due to many issues which we will be discussing here. Hopefully we can help you protect your website’s contents, protect important documents, files, images and other personal information you may have stored on our servers as well as help keep your account from being suspended.
- If your website does not write to files, does not take uploads etc. Disable write permissions on your website completely.
- If your website does write to files, disable write permissions on your website and use the file manager to set write permissions on only what you need.
- If you are using a commercial or open source available product such as WordPress, Joomla, PHPbb etc. make sure you are always running the latest version. Keep track of new release announcements and keep your website updated. Popular applications are updated frequently so keep an eye out!
- FTP Accounts
- Use FTP over SSL only, set your FTP account to “SSL Only” in the control panel to prevent connections over standard FTP.
- Use only trusted FTP applications and download them from their respective developer’s website. To prevent the application from stealing credentials. Do not use “cracked” or “pirated” applications as they could be insecure.
- Use strong passwords, the password “Mikeftp1″ is not a secure password. “9876ui*O-I723_44″ is a secure password.
- If you use FTP from locations that have a static IP or an IP address that rarely changes, use our “IP Restrictions” feature in the control panel to prevent access from IP addresses you do not specify.
- Email Accounts
- Use strong passwords, the password “Cindy1988″ is not a secure password. “9876ui*O-I723_44″ is a secure password.
- Disable the webmail service for your account if you do not use or do not rely on this for email access.
- Disable unneeded services. For example, if you only use IMAP, disable POP.
- Monitor your account closely, if you receive bounce reports or failure notices for emails you do not recognize, change your password immediately and alert our support department.
- Do not use the same password for all email accounts.
- If you can, use only SSL or TLS based connections to send and receive email
We hope this helps you have a better idea about how to secure your website and your account from attacks, spammers, etc. If you have any questions, let us know!
Thank you for choosing ASPnix as your hosting provider!
February 3rd, 2014 387 View(s)
On March 1st, 2014 we will be disabling and discontinuing support for the PHP mail() function. Disabling this function will help with the security of our systems and servers to help protect against websites being compromised and then used to spread and send spam. This means that websites that use the PHP mail method will need to change the way they send mail. Most applications have a built in way of directly communicating with the SMTP server (such as PHPMailer, SwiftMailer etc.). Applications such as Joomla, WordPress etc. also have their own mechanisms or plug-ins to achieve this. Most applications should already be using SMTP directly and not PHP’s mail function.
The reasons go beyond just spam and security as well. The method is known for not being 100% at delivering mail; emails sent through this mechanism have been reported to be flagged by spam filters, not meeting all RFC specifications amongst other issues.
Check with your application developers to see which method your application is using and how to update it to use the SMTP server directly.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
January 28th, 2014 99 View(s)
We are performing an emergency upgrade to our MX01 SmarterMail server. During this time the primary MX01 server will be offline. This is a critical release from SmarterTools to address and fix some discovered security issues in SmarterMail.
We expect this update to take no longer than 20 minutes.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
January 24th, 2014 133 View(s)
The MX01 SmarterMail in our USA data-center will be taken down to move the RAID to a new system / server. The new server has much more capacity, has a significantly stronger processor and nearly 4x more RAM. This will improve the performance and stability of MX01. We will be performing this upgrade within the next 15 – 30 minutes.
During this time the MX01 SmarterMail server will be offline. We expect this to take no longer than an hour.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time!
January 24th, 2014 116 View(s)
The MSSQL01 SQL Server in our USA data-center will be taken down to move the RAID to a new system / server. The new server has much more capacity, has a much stronger processor and nearly double the RAM. This will improve the performance of MSSQL01 as we plan adding more SQL Server instances in the near future. We will be performing this upgrade within the next 15 – 30 minutes.
During this time the MSSQL01 SQL Server will be offline. We expect this to take no longer than an hour.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time!
January 13th, 2014 164 View(s)
Our Windows reseller portal system has been updated, the updated release is now ready for download within the Client Area. If you use this self-maintained portal installation, you will need to update all installations to this version. Below are the changes in this release…
THIS IS A REQUIRED UPDATE DUE TO BREAKING CHANGES
- Added WebDAV publishing support
- Virtual directories now have the IP Restrictions tab
- Small improvement to website properties loading time
- Helicon APE control improvements / fixes
- Missing language / resource text entries
If you have any questions about this update, please let us know!
Thank you for choosing ASPnix as your Windows hosting provider!
January 6th, 2014 303 View(s)
We are very happy to announce that we now support WebDAV publishing to more easily manage your website’s content! Map a network drive, use clients such as WebDrive, BitKinex, Cyberduck and many others! What is so great about it? For our customers that use Windows you can easily map a drive to your website and browse / manage your website’s content without the need of a 3rd party client, just like it was a local hard drive or folder!
There are however a few small restrictions which are outlined below…
- Windows-based authentication cannot be used if Helicon APE is enabled for your website
- If your website or application relies on RESTful PUT or DELETE verbs, WebDAV should not be enabled
- WebDAV is only available on the root website application, we do not support WebDAV for virtual directories at this time
WebDAV is enabled on all client hosting packages (resellers will need to manage their hosting plans separately). Simply select the website you wish to enable WebDAV on and select the “WebDAV” tab.
We believe this feature will make it easier for users to manage their website’s content, especially Windows users who can easily map network drives and have direct access to their content without the need of any 3rd party applications!
Thank you for choosing ASPnix as your Windows web hosting provider!
January 1st, 2014 180 View(s)
It is unfortunate to announce that we’ve discontinued our Linux web hosting services. We feel it is best that we focus on our primary / major services. This would be Windows web hosting, VPS and TeamSpeak hosting. With the very large growth of our TeamSpeak services and the continued expansion and growth of our Windows web hosting services we feel it would be best to continue focusing our efforts in these directions.
To those customers that would like to stay with us, we are offering our Windows “Personal Hosting” package at the annual rate as our Linux web hosting plans. Our Windows web hosting services support PHP, MySQL and Perl as well as ASP.NET, SQL Server, SmarterMail and SmarterStats. Our Windows web hosting services also support Apache’s .htaccess / mod_rewrite modules as well! Other features include a scheduling system, WHMCS integration support, fully customizable control panel for resellers.
Our Windows control panel system is another reason we are focusing on our Windows based services as we can fully customize and update our Windows control panel. WebsitePanel is a open source control panel and allows us to fully customize it to meet our needs. We hope that you decide to give our Windows services a try! Some have already migrated to it and find that moving from Linux to Windows is not that bad! The control panel is very organized, each website has its own folder, logs, data directories and more!
Our Linux web hosting servers and services will be taken offline on February 1st, 2014. This should allow ample time for all clients to determine their options.
Thank you again for choosing ASPnix!
December 30th, 2013 87 View(s)
Our TeamSpeak 3 VoIP services have been successfully updated to the latest available TeamSpeak server version, v22.214.171.124
For what’s new in this TeamSpeak update please review the release announcement on the TeamSpeak forums.
If you have any questions please contact our VoIP support department.
Thank you for choosing ASPnix!
December 22nd, 2013 172 View(s)
There is a failure on WEB06 server and our technicians are working to replace the failed server. The service should be restored within 45 – 60 minutes.
UPDATE (12:49AM MST): At this time our technicians determined that multiple drives failed within 1 – 2 minutes of each other. Due to the drive parity of the failed drives, this destroyed the RAID array and we are having to restore WEB06 from backups. This process is going to take several hours to complete, we appreciate your continued patience!
UPDATE 2: We’ve placed an order for a new server, the current host for WEB06 is bad and we do not have the correct parts for this server in order to fix the issues. Unfortunately due to the Holiday season it is taking longer than expected to get the order taken care of. We have all data and will be able to restore the server as soon as we receive it.
UPDATE 3: Services have been restored for WEB06.
Thank you for your patience!